A plaque of algae and waste products of microorganisms forms on the glass surface of an (artificial home reservoir) fish tank or aquarium. To remove contamination, use a special factory-made tool. The owner can reduce costs and make a DIY aquarium scraper using the tools at hand.
VARIETIES OF lgae Scraper For Cleaning AQUARIUM
To clean the inside of the aquarium glass, use scrapers:
- Equipped with a pad with a sponge or rubber working part, oriented to the removal of light dirt;
- Equipped with a steel blade capable of cutting off tough plaque;
Consisting of 2 parts with magnets, the section located inside the container has a rough surface that cleans away dirt;
- Combined to provide improved glass handling (e.g. sponge and steel blade options).
The tool is equipped with a handle with a plastic platform on which a dense sponge is fixed.
To separate dirt, it is necessary to press the cleaning element against the glass and make up and down movements, gradually removing plaque. The sponge should be periodically rinsed with water.
- ease of use;
- the ability to adjust the handle on some models.
- the occurrence of noise during operation, which negatively affects the fish;
- part of sediments entering the water and bottom soil;
- inability to erase a dense layer of dirt.
To remove dense plaque on the walls, use devices with a blade from a safety razor or a special steel plate with a sharpened edge. The handle allows you to get to the dirt near the bottom of the aquarium. Some manufacturers use a hinge to connect the handle and the working element, allowing you to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- the ability to quickly clean stubborn dirt;
- the presence of a hinged head, which allows processing surfaces at different angles;
- increased resource of the working edge.
- risk of damage to glass surfaces;
- the formation of foci of corrosion on the instrument;
- difficulty in replacing the blade on some scrapers.
The device consists of a cleaning element and a separate handle, equipped with permanent magnets. For cleaning, it is necessary to install the sections on opposite sides of the glass, the surface of the inner element with a brush will help remove soft deposits. A soft material is attached to the outer cover to prevent damage to the glass.
- the ability to clean the inner walls without lowering your hands into the water;
- quiet operation, when cleaning there are no noises disturbing the fish;
- suitability for surface treatment of silicate or acrylic glass;
- positive buoyancy of the aquarium section due to voids in the body.
- poor cleaning quality, if the working edge is damaged, stripes remain on the surfaces;
- opening of sections due to the increased thickness of the aquarium wall or curved surface;
- glass damage by abrasive particles caught on the brush;
- ability to remove only soft deposits.
Combination products provide improved surface treatment through the use of multiple cleaning elements. For example, a blade cuts off hard deposits and a soft brush removes any remaining dirt without damaging the base material of the aquarium walls.
DIY Algae Scraper For AQUARIUM
The owner of the aquarium can make a scraper on his own using materials at hand. There are various design schemes suitable for removing light dirt or a strong layer of deposits. The low cost of homemade tools allows you to reduce the cost of maintaining the aquarium.
DIY SCRAPER WITH MAGNET
To make a do-it-yourself magnetic scraper for an aquarium, you will need 2 magnets (rectangular and arbitrary configuration), an insulating tape, and a piece of felt.
Before starting work, the material should be boiled to remove bacteria and increase elasticity. You will also need a plastic card, a roll of line, and a sewing kit. A homemade magnetic scraper sinks in water, so cleaning should be done carefully, not allowing the magnet to come off the glass.
- Wrap the rectangular magnet with felt and sew the material.
- Place a plastic card on the side edge and secure with a fishing line. The protruding part will allow you to scrape off dense deposits from the glass of the aquarium.
- Wrap the outer magnet with insulating tape to protect the surface of the artificial reservoir from damage.
- Check the functionality of the product.
DIY SCRAPER WITH PLASTIC CARD
- Cut out a metal corner and drill 4 holes to secure the handle and work piece. The degree of bending of the insert determines the ergonomics of the tool.
- Attach a plastic card (for example, a telephone or discount card issued in chain stores). The use of a material with a low strength prevents the formation of scratches on the surfaces, as they wear, the edge is cut or another card is installed.
- Fix the handle made of steel spoke, the length depends on the depth of the aquarium.
- Check the performance of the homemade structure.
SCRAPER WITH BLADE
You can make a scraper from a PVC sheet and a blade fragment from a utility knife. Before making a tool, you should decide on the width of the cutting edge and draw the outlines of the future product on the PVC sheet. The use of plastic provides positive buoyancy to the DIY aquarium cleaner. Several layers of PVC are used for the manufacture, ensuring the rigidity of the scraper. The blade is fixed with screws or screws and additionally fixed with epoxy glue.
An alternative method is to use a PVC plumbing pipe and an angle to secure the blade from a safety razor. The parts are held by friction and the owner can use handles with different lengths.
Some aquarists install an additional 70-80 mm tube on the corner, at the end of which they make a slot for installing the blade. Toolmaking takes up to 20 minutes.
SCRAPER WITH A SPONGE
For manufacturing it is necessary:
- Make a base plate out of thick plastic.
- Attach the angled handle with screws or glue.
- Place a piece of dense foam rubber on a water-resistant adhesive mass.
- Check the operation of the homemade scraper.
Using Algae Scrapers for cleaning aquaruim
The scrapers are designed to separate dirt from the vertical surfaces of the aquarium. Plants or decorative objects cannot be processed.
When working with the tool, be careful not to let soil particles get under the cleaning edges.
The frequency of cleaning depends on the size of the aquarium and the number of plants. Under standard conditions, the procedure is carried out after 4-5 days, but the planting of algae allows you to increase the interval to 7 days. If a plaque is found on glass or decorative objects, unscheduled processing should be carried out.
PLANTS AND DECOR
Before purchasing an aquarium scraper, you need to evaluate the ergonomics of the tool. You should purchase products from large manufacturers. Buying a cheap tool leads to quick breakage of the handle or working edge and additional costs. The packaging must indicate the manufacturer’s details and the performance of the scraper. Quality products have beveled edges to prevent damage to the silicone seal that seals the corners of the aquarium.
Before starting work, you should check the condition of the working edges, on which irregularities are not allowed. The cleaning surface must have a homogeneous structure, if the rigidity is insufficient, the scraper will slide over the layer of deposits. When using a magnetic scraper with an additional blade, check the correct position of the metal or plastic plate. If misaligned, the magnetic field will not be able to hold the cleaning element, which will fall off the glass.
Which scraper is better?
When choosing an aquarium cleaning tool, consider the advantages and disadvantages of each variety. For example, tanks with curved walls require a product with an elastic working part.
For rectangular containers, a device with a blade and a length-adjustable handle is suitable, which allows you to clean the glass from the bottom to the top edge.
How to insert blade into aquarium scraper?
It depends on which scraper you have. In the screw, it is necessary to press the blade with the screws, and in the plastic insert the blade and fix it on the latches.